Sydney Schoolgirls’ Get Active Breakfast 2010 – was held on Thursday October 28, 2010 at the Sports Centre.
The aims of the breakfast are:
- To motivate and inspire schoolgirls to participate and continue their involvement in sport and physical activity;
- To educate girls about the benefits of sport and physical activity and leading a healthy lifestyle;
- To provide a forum for schoolgirls to meet and share the experiences of high-profile sportspeople, athletes, coaches, officials and sports administrators;
- To recognise and reward high school students for their involvement in sport.
- Throughout the morning schoolgirls have the opportunity to talk one-on-one with sportspeople. The reassurance and inspiration offered by this interaction helps to motivate the girls to continue their participation in sport rather than drift away. A highlight of each Breakfast event is the panel discussion. A number of the guest athletes answer questions from the audience about their experiences, challenges and achievements. A number of sporting demonstrations are also presented throughout the morning.
Research to investigate the long term effects of the breakfasts has been conducted. It was found that after 3 -12 months, the schoolgirls still remembered the key messages of the event and the majority of the schoolgirls (58%) had increased participation in sport and physical activity.
Womensport NSW gratefully acknowledges the following sponsors of the Sydney Schoolgirls’ Get Active Breakfast event in 2010 include:
- NSW Communities, Sport and Recreation
- Sporting Injuries Committee
- NSW Health
- Sydney Olympic Park Authority
- Sports Centre, Sydney Olympic Park
- 2 x U
- Sydney Uni Sports and Fitness
- Tiaki Pilates and Yoga
- National Foods
- Clean and Clear
- NSW Swifts
- Commonwealth Bank
- Lorna Jane
- NSW Women’s Bowls
- The Forum Group